LNCIB was founded in 1987 as a consortium of 25 Italian universities that aim to promote and coordinate the scientific research and the technology transfer in the fields of biotechnology, agro-food, industrial, pharmaceutical, zootechnical, veterinary and environmental sectors, by the involving the research units of the associated universities.
Since its inception, the consortium has been dealing with the:
- development of procedures for the processing and molecular analysis of oncology and infectious diseases of clinical samples using lab-on-a-chip technology;
- development and optimisation of bioinformatic procedures for analysis of public or experimentally generated data; and
- study and characterisation of key molecular bases in tumour etiopathogenesis.
Specific competences include:
- Optimisation of nucleic acid extraction procedures from biological samples and molecular analysis in multiplex (microarray or real-time PCR miniaturised systems) integrated into Point-Of-Care (POC) microfluidic systems.
- Functional characterisation of onco-suppressors
- Investigation of genomic instability, metabolism and cell transformation
- Epigenetics in tumour stem cells
- Functional genomic studies (ChIP-Seq, RNA-Seq, etc.)
- Non-coding microRNA and RNA studies
- Drug discovery and functional screening